How did the ancient Chinese discover the universe is governed by a cosmic duality – Yin and Yang? The ancient Chinese loved to observe everything in the nature, from the ocean to the mountain, from the cosmic to the earth, from the living to the death.
What they found has changed the Asian culture for almost four thousand years. That the universe is composed of opposing and complementary forces or cosmic energies, just like sun and moon, dark and light, male and female…
The element or the energy of yin and yang is not about right or wrong and good or bad. These forces have to co-exist and even complement each other. The importance of the yin and yang philosophy is to master the balance between the two opposing forces.
For example, in Chinese medicine, one is sick or unwell if there is too much yin or too much yang. To maintain one’s health, one needs to balance the yin and yang forces within the body. The same philosophy also governors Feng Shui, which is the balance of the energy in our environment.
5 easy ways to balance our Yin and Yang:
- Take a walk in the nature – when we are in the nature, we can absorb the energy of nature with every breath.
- Drink plenty of water – this is an inexpensive way to detox and rehydrate our body, why not take advantage with the power of water to cleanse our body.
- Meditation – even 1 minute of a quiet time can declutter our mind, so we can focus on the important aspects of life.
- Yoga, tai chi, and qi gong classes – these slow movement exercises help us to focus and balance our energy or qi in our body, mind, and soul.
- Nutrition – need not to say, we are what we eat!